Tuesday 12 March 2013

Installing a windows network printer on Fedora using SAMBA (and CUPS)

The place where I work at only supports Windows computers for the employees, the Exchange server is heavily linked in the back bone of the "administration system" - and I say administration because we produce software that is installed on Linux machines, we manage Linux machines and all clients have Linux machines. However the calendar, mail and network shares are all done with windows technology. 
If I followed the rules I'd have a windows computer and I'd run a VM just to have a Linux to do my actual work in.... which is kinda silly. So I dual boot Fedora on my laptop to be more productive on my job and "fend for myself" on the other things.
Installing the new network printers was interesting, the helpdesk provided everyone with guides on how to install on Linux and OSX, but mostly because the management gets Macbook Airs as a perk, so I guess they weren't happy when they couldn't install the printers, either way, the Linux instructions were incomplete.
With the help of another co-worker who also uses Fedora based computer we were able to configure the printers correctly.

Requirements:

I had to install the following packages (though my coworker didn't have to):

  • samba-client
  • samba-common
  • samba
  • system-config-samba
  • samba-winbind-clients

These packages were already on my system:
  • cups-pk-helper
  • bluez-cups
  • cups-libs
  • cups
  • cups-libs
  • ghostscript-cups
  • gutenprint-cups-
  • python-cups
The best way we found to configure this was using cups web interface, located at http://localhost:631/admin 
We took a bunch of screen shots, they should explain better than words, note that on the network path for the printer we had "ptin/" which is the domain where our users are.
Other important thing, if you have special characters on your user name or password you'll have to uri encode them, I have a '%' on my password which became '23%' and yes, you'll have to reconfigure when you change the password :( .





(Note: For the right printers show up on my list I had to go to Lexmark's site and download the following file: openprinting-ppds-postscript-lexmark-20130226-1lsb3.2.noarch.rpm and I think it's great that they provide it, they've ranked up on my consideration.)

No comments:

Post a Comment